Sunday 31 July 2011

Living On A Low Income

Several months have passed and Chris is still looking for work...


Chris has worked for the last 40 years and only ever remembers being out of work once when he was much younger. He has been looking for work here in Nottingham but there does not seem to be anything available for him to apply for..I know it's true as I have been looking too, for him. I am still working part time in the day nursery and thankful for that.
I never realised how little financial support could be claimed in these circumstances. There is not much left to cover food once the household bills are paid. Why is this? Chris is desperate to work but what can he do if there is nothing for him? We can't make a job suddenly appear. We can't make food prices suddenly drop. Sadly, Chris just missed out on getting pension credit as the age it can be claimed has risen...
I don't know how families in a similar situation manage. Something needs to be put right so that people can buy good healthy food..
I am very good at making meals that can cover 2 days and God would never let us go without food.
I was given a few tips today that I had not thought of...buying food that has been reduced and freezing it..going to a well known supermarket just before closing time and getting other food that has been reduced like bread e.t.c Freezing milk in small quantities and only defrosting what I need for that day. I really like that tip! I would never have thought of doing that! Many supermarkets are selling 4 pints of milk for £1. ( bread also)
We have had a good weekend we have been out and about and walked to places when we would have normally got the bus. I think that has been good for us as it has got us out and given us some exercise! We have even been to a beach..In Nottingham city centre! It's great! It really does feel like a taste of the Seaside!
Still smiling!

No comments:

Post a Comment